What if we told you that Wanderlust Duo rarely if ever pays for airfare? Here is our secret to flying free.
You might assume that we simply fly so much that our accumulated airline miles cover the fares. Or, does our status as “celebrity” international travelers earn free flights wherever our wanderlusting hearts desire? Well, although both of these scenarios would be utterly fantastic, the truth is, the secret to flying free is not really much of a secret at all, and is truly accessible to most..
We’re conditioned to disregard all things deemed “too good to be true..”
For years, we turned down invitations to join Krissy’s annual family vacations in Maui, Hawaii… Although we did make the trip a couple times, we generally passed, based on a lack of time or an unwillingness to buy the expensive tickets… Each year my father-in-law would recommend this credit card or that, promising fantastical things about bonus miles and free flights..
Then one year, the decision was taken out my hands..
His five-year wedding anniversary in Maui was an event not be missed. We started researching fares, which were running about $1000 each for round trip tickets during prime season… We’d really never been “credit card people,” but firmly influenced by sticker shock, started scouring the web for the fabled free airline miles, hoping to find a way to Hawaii, gratis..
And really that’s when it all started for us…
We just happened to stumble upon Million Mile Secrets, a website devoted to sharing the very best, up-to-date airline mile bonus deals, complete with step-by-step instructions. At the time, Million Mile Secrets had discovered a way to qualify for the same great American Airlines deal three times, worth 50,000 miles each.. They called it the “Browser Trick:” Apply for the Citibank Visa in one browser and the Citibank MasterCard in another, submit at the exact same time, then sign up for the Citibank Visa Business Card… BINGO! 150,000 miles was enough to cover our flights to and from Maui. We even added a flight to Oahu, and still had 20,000 miles left over!
Since then, we’ve been flying free all over the world!
Copenhagen -> Istanbul
Istanbul -> Budapest
Lisbon -> St. Louis
London -> St. LouisX2
Paris -> London
Tokyo -> St. Louis
St. Louis -> Barcelona
St. Louis -> Boston
St. Louis -> Los Angeles
St. Louis -> New Orleans
St. Louis -> Orlando
St. Louis -> Philadelphia
St. Louis -> Playa del Carmen
St. Louis -> Portland
St. Louis -> San Juan
St. Louis -> Savannah
St. Louis -> Tokyo
St. Louis -> Vancouver
St. Louis -> Washington DC
Awesome, so what’s the catch?
There’s gotta be a reason why credit card companies would offer these awesome deals, right?Absolutely. These bonus cards require a minimum amount spent, generally ranging between $1 and $5000 before you get your miles. This in mind, here’s some tips to take advantage of the deals, instead of credit card companies taking advantage of you…
1. Pay off the full balance – Credit card companies make their money by charging high interest rates on remaining balances each month…
2. Meet spending requirements – Use your card to pay as many bills as possible (insurance, cable, cell phone, internet, etc.) and use your card instead of cash.
3. To keep or not to keep? – Once you’ve received and use your miles, call to cancel the credit card. You’ll likely be offered more miles for leaving it open.
4. Yearly Fees – Some great credit cards charge a yearly fee, but most waive the fee for the first year. Consider canceling cards before a fee is charged in the second year.
5. Foreign Transaction Fees – If traveling abroad, make sure the card you choose has no foreign transaction fees and you’ll save a ton.